Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Reed "The Steed" Johnson

Since the release of Shannon Stewart, there has been a lot of talk of the "big mistake" J.P. Riccardi made by allowing Reed Johnson to walk in the offseason.

Don't get me wrong here - I don't like Riccardi, and I seriously believe it is time for him to go, but at the time I feel that the decision wasn't the wrong one.

However the major issue here is the fact that Adam Lind should have broken camp with the Jays.

The opening day lineup should have been:

Eckstein
Hill
Rios
Thomas
Wells
Rolen
Overbay
Zaun
Lind

If Lind had broken camp with this team the Johnson vs. Stewart debate may never have happened. Also, Stairs was never supposed to be our full-time DH as Thomas being released wasn't factored into Johnson vs. Stewart.

Hey, I am not saying the Stewart signing was a good choice, but I will never say that letting Johnson walk (at the time) was bad idea. If I am wrong, I am wrong.

The Johnson release looks worse now because of a combination of bad choices made by Riccardi throughout the year. Adam Lind spent too much time in the minors, and by releasing Thomas, Stairs has received to many at-bats.

I don't miss Johnson, and I not going to miss Stewart.

No comments: