Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Opening Day is Over-rated in Toronto


Well folks - It's that time of the year again. The time when every team has hope, and a time when every team has the same record. Opening Day! A day when every team is in first place and has dreams of the post-season.

Ok enough of that crap.

I don't have season tickets, never have, and likely never will. I still manage to get to 15-20 games per season, and I am happy with that. However I will never go to the home opener at Rogers Centre, never.

Sure the home opener is the one game we sell out, and the one game when the majority of fans in the centre are under the age of 40, but it just doesn't have appeal to me as it does to most Torontonians.

Lets get serious here; 85% of the people that went to yesterday's game will not go to another game this season. They aren't the hardcore's like you and I, and last night they proved me right again. Look, I am all for having a good time, but when it almost costs the Jays a win that pisses me off, not to mention it makes our city look bad.

You don't go to ballgame and throw crap on the field -- esp. when your team is on the verge of winning a game. Jim Leyland was correct when he took his players off the field, and it really pissed me off how Cito had to apologize to Leyland on behalf of the Toronto "fan."

I just want to say one thing to each and every person who threw something on the field last night....

Go f%$k yourself.

Oh and the Jays won 12-5.

3 comments:

DAN THE MAN said...

I don't believe it's overrated, it's more of an outpouring of support, and I guarantee you that more than a half of those fans after last night's debauchery will return later this season.

I for one, will.

www.johnnymaccabinet.blogspot.com

For your viewing plesure.

The Jays Man said...

I disagree. You will be back because you are clearly a real fan. Hence your hardcore enough to post on blogs.

However most of the folks that go to opening night are just there for the novelty of it all. I think that is quite obvious since it is the only game that sells out on a regular basis.

Anonymous said...

Your entire analysis is way off base. The Blue Jays have been throwing crap to the fans since 1993, so they can't get mad when a few decide to throw it right back at them.

Once again, you're way off base.